Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sweet Potato and Acorn Squash Soup

Adapted from The New York Times

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
  • 1 acorn squash, peeled and diced
  • 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 3 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
  • salt to taste
METHOD:
  • Heat oil in stock pot, add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil
  • Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes until all vegetables are tender
  • Blend with an immersion blender
  • Salt to taste
COMMENTS:
As a lifelong sweat potato hater and not being terribly fond of acorn squash either, I was not optimistic about this soup but it is the only recipe I found that did not turn my stomach.  These vegetables would not have been my choice if I had a say in what I got in my produce share so I had to make the best of it.  Well, I have to admit, this is absolutely delicious.  Throw in some cooked black beans and it's a meal.  The original recipe says it freezes well but I am not sure I will have any left to freeze to put that to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment